DIESEL-ELECTRIC SWITCH ENGINE # 1029
Originally an NW-2, built by the Electro Motive Division of General Motors in 1947, and rated at 1,000 HP, the 1029 was upgraded to 1,200 HP including an SW-1200 type radiator, painted solid red, and renumbered # 10. The KATY owned 5 of the NW-2 type engines; the 1029 operated in the Wichita Falls yards until 1970 then it was reassigned to the Sherman- Denison Division, where it received its final green and yellow paint scheme. Retired in 1987, the #10 was destined for scrap until rescued by the museum. Donated by the KATY, it was repainted by the museum to its original color and number.
Return to the WFRRM Home Page.
© Wichita Falls Railroad Museum